Tuesday, February 10, 2009

'Green' Searching

Hey there loyal readers! Just a quick post in between my rave reviews of the Auto Show!

I thought I'd write a little bit about something I've been using a lot lately. I'm talking about 'green' search engines.

You might have already heard of Blackle.com (sometimes referred to as 'black google'), or a newer one called ecoGNight. But if you haven't, I'd like to tell you a little bit about them!

The basic principle of a green search engine is that it features a black background on the site instead of a white one. The assumption being that a darker background will take less energy for your monitor to display.

It's important to remember though, that different search engines can have different problems. These are a few that I've noticed:

- ecoGNight isn't that great about spelling errors. You know, that 'did you mean?' thing. Not a huge deal, but not exactly convenient for those of us who use our search engines as a spell check!
- Blackle, another popular 'green' search engine, is great except it doesn't provide you with a list of search suggestions (like the drop down list that Google provides), and it also does not have an image search, which is a bummer.

I personally use ecoGNight, but there are a lot of different green search engines out there. My experience is with ecoGNight & Blackle, but I did find this cool list with links to a ton of different 'green' search engines:
If you guys wanna try any of them I'd love to hear what you think! I'm on FaceBook, and I can also be reached at my e-mail: bethechange@rock.com

I think that's all for now. Stay tuned for the rest of my post about the Auto Show, coming at you next week! See you guys later!

Oh! And before I forget, some screen captures of the two search engines I mentioned, ecoGNight and Blackle, in that order:


Go Black to Go Green!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah good to explain all that about how it is Green. Looking forward to your next Auto blog as you got me intrigued there too as a casual fan! Ta!

Unknown said...

Nice post and about ecognight.com, it have 'did you mean'!
Try searching 'abaut', and it'll say 'did you mean: about' :D

Be The Change said...

Hey thanks!
Yeah, it corrects the spelling mistakes, but can leave the mispelled word in the search bar. I guess some other search engines, like google, will correct that.
It's not a huge deal, but thanks for the feedback! :)
- B

asfjh said...

i've never heard of this before - i guess my blog is eco-friendly, as it has a black background ;)